Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Rocking out - Growing up 90s and early 2000's.

7 Things - Miley Cyrus

Because let's face it. We all proudly rocked out to a little Miley before she went completely ape shit and decided to swing totally naked on a wrecking ball. 


Now that I'm an adult, I totally get the one Prozac a day thing. Has anyone figured out where in the bloody hell they got their band name from? Did Debbie ever get to shake her ass on the hood of White Snake's car?

Walk Away (remember me) - Paula Deanda 

This one was a big hit on MySpace back in the day. Yeah, Myspace. A pretty catchy little beat to organize your top friends to... or miss your stupid ex boyfriend to. Whichever one feels most favorable to you. Ahh, memories. 

Listen to your heart - D.H.T

The more upbeat version was always a pretty good song to have on your mix CD for Friday night. The slow version kind of made you want to withdraw all socialization from the world and cry yourself to sleep on the dirty sheets your mom told you to wash a week ago. 

Red High Heels - Kellie Pickler

The song you listened to when you got ready to go out. The song that gave you the high you needed after a shitty break-up. But damn her voice was hella annoying. I think she has her own tacky reality show now. I can see American Idol really worked it's magic. 

The Bad Touch - The Bloodhound Gang

It really freaks my husband out that I know every word to a song this explicit. I was 13, and dedicated an entire weekend to rocking out to the 90s musical/comedy/sorta pop version of Fifty Shades. Hell. Yes. Mr. Coffee with that automatic drip. 

Aaron's Party - Aaron Carter 

We all wanted to fucking BE Aaron Carter in this song. Having an insane, unsupervised party with our friends who break our parents shit. That is, until the parents came home and caught the little bastard. Didn't wanna be Aaron Carter then. Nope. 

Beautiful Soul - Jesse McCartney 

What happened to his pure, sweet, beautiful hunk of man? He was the cutest! This was the best song. Does anyone remember Radio Disney? The only station on AM that didn't have total static interference. This use to always come on, and when it didn't, I would call in to request it. Yes, the days of requesting a song! Ok, I just googled and Jesse McCartney isn't as cute as he was when this song was a hit. He had his time, though. 🙈

Welcome to My Life - Simple Plan

What is this world without a good Simple Plan song? I swear, even though these guys always sounded like they were singing on an acid trip, they always had something I didn't mind listening to. Especially this song. Because as a moody little teenager who thought the world was coming to an end when they didn't get their way, who didn't feel this way at some point in time. 

That Ain't my Truck - Rhett Akins

This bitch in this song. Two timing this poor innocent guy, and then he's just standing around waiting on her to decide whether or not he's the one she loves and wants to be with. Are you KIDDING me?!?!?! You're actually gonna give her the option to decide! 

I'm Blue (da ba dee da ba die) - Eiffel 65 

...I think we're all still trying to figure this one out 17 years later. (Yeah, it was released in 1999. Feeling old yet?)

Don't trust me - 3OH!3

This was probably the coolest song of summer 2008. We all thought the, "tell your boyfriend, if he says he's got beef, that I'm a vegetarian and I ain't fuckin' scared of him" verse was the baddest shit on the radio. Even though, to this day, I have no freaking clue what doing the Helen Keller is. 

Mrs. Independent - Kelly Clarkson

What? The girl can sing! And this song was a hit! I always forget about it, but sooner or later it comes back to me. What better song is there to move into your first college dorm to? Maybe driving around in your first car. Getting your first job, or driving into your first ditch. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Salt Shaker - Ying Yang Twins 

Shawty! There is still NO SONG like the salt shaker song. The Ying Yang Twins meant serious business with this one. If you were a cheerleader, you know first hand that it was pretty well spun into every single cheer mix ever created. 

Candy Shop - 50 Cent

Probably one of the dirtiest songs of my youth, next to The Bad Touch and Barbie Girl. But still, I can't deny I know every word. MTV had the best videos, and this was always one their top hits in the morning. Plus, who didn't like to stare at 50 cent's bod. DAYUM! By the way, he got shot 9 times and survived, so where the hell is he now? 

Me Against the Music - Britney Spears & Madonna 

Who could forget when Madonna and Britney locked lips on stage during this little number. And in that weird video they did where they both acted like they were trapped in a fucking box. 

Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne 

Whether it was your breakup, or a friends breakup, this song said it all. Who really wanted their ex to move on? Who really wanted their ex to upgrade? And who really even tried to like the bitch their ex started dating. Avril was the shit. She knew what was up. Well, that is until she apparently died and was mysteriously replaced by a doppelgänger. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I Melt - Rascal Flatts 

The only reason I'm putting this one on here is because I remember very thoroughly, that you get to see a pretty nice looking man's ass in the music video. Google it. You won't be disappointed. Promise. 

Mambo No. 5 - Lou Bega

Guys...I don't even know where to start with this song. The true test of how many women you can name off in a single tune. Every time I turned on my boom box bag (YES BOOM BOX BAG!), this song was on. Now, I never hear it. Thank goodness I have trust old Alexa now to play all of these oldies but goodies for me. Who would have ever thought we would go from recording literal mixtapes to whatever song we want with a spoken word. 

Get Low - DJ Snake 

To the window.....to the WALL! Because who wasn't playing this as loud as humanly possible on their stereo? Who wasn't begging their school dance DJ to AT LEAST find the edited version. I actually heard this song the other day, and it definitely hasn't lost it's luster. Gave me my mom groove back.


I remember I used to get so confused when I would see this song pop up on the TV music channel. Until she started whaling off tune, you know, the way she does, I never knew who actually sang the song. And look, she's come so far. All the way to... oh wait, never mind, she's still bitching about men. 🙄

Baby Got Back - Sir Mix A lot

We can't be friends if you didn't know this song. This song was IT. Literally, because I'm pretty sure he was a one hit wonder. 😂 My anaconda don't want none, unless you got buns hun! 

And last but not least.... 

Back At One - Brian McKnight 

Oh LORDY, LORDY! If you didn't know this song, you weren't living. You just weren't a true part of the generation. The only song that listed reasons (not very legit reasons if you've ever actually listened to words) for falling in love with a person. I'm pretty sure it's been remade about 3 times since I was a kid. I'm not sure why, because of all the songs that could've been remade, I never dreamed this would have been one of them. 



Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment