Sunday, July 20, 2014

Dear Jaxon, your birth story memory.

Dear Jaxon,

First I'd like to say, you had some of the most amazing people involved in your medical care. I'm telling you, amazing. Your doctor was everything I could have hoped for in a doctor. A very soft spoken, witty, fun doctor. He had a great sense of humor and I loved that about him. He made me feel good when he told me he admired that I wasn't like most pregnant women who he saw. That I was there every appointment to get in and out, that I wasn't ever too worried about anything, and that I just went with the flow. That I trusted him. His PA, Kelly, was incredible. She is such a wonderful woman and I am thankful I met her when I did. She took great care of me at all my appointments. I will most definitely be seeing her again when we decide to give you a sweet brother or sister.

The second to last day of December, my OBGYN, Dr. Deiter, told me they would like me to go as far as I could in my pregnancy and delay induction because you were measuring small. I told every doctor and nurse I was further along than they thought, but no one would listen. I know when my husband and I conceived our son. I'm not an idiot. Jax, you felt huge to me... like I was carrying around two bowling balls everywhere I went. Sometimes it felt like you were so heavy you'd eventually just fall out with no pushing at all. Everyone I talked to said, "Oh, Molly, he'll be tiny because your belly is so small." I only gained 22 pounds, so then came the comments of, "I gained 60 with all of mine!" and "There is no way he could be that big of a baby if that's all the weight you've gained." I was sitting there thinking, "This stomach weighs a ton. This child will be at least 8 to 9 lbs. He is friggin' gigantic." My belly was stretched to a God awful limit and your ultrasounds had you measuring little, judging by what the techs said. I still thought that was so wrong. I was even told my fluid was too low at one point based on ultrasound measurements.



The doctor told me not to work myself into a frenzy but to go ahead and get our things prepared for the hospital. To do something that might take my mind off the fact that I "thought" I was going to be overdue. So I did just that. I went home, packed up all our things for the hospital and your daddy put the base and car seat in his truck. We went to the Dollar Tree and bought a bunch of crap we ended up not needing. Crossword puzzles, extra toothpaste, snacks, bath stuff, etc. Ha! Like we were going on a cruise or something.

We waited... and waited. Days went by and nothing happened. I was miserable with hip pain and heartburn the last few weeks. You weren't a morning sickness baby - but you were a "end of term" sickness baby. I barfed a few times in the days before you were born because of the terrible heartburn. I thought it would never go away. It kept me awake every single night. So did you dancing around in my ribs. I thought you were for sure going to be a mess I couldn't control once you got out!

You gave us two false alarms. The first time, it was sleeting and the roads were slick. I figured with my luck and you being a winter baby, that was going to happen. I thought I was having hardcore contractions. They were insanely close together and irritating as hell. I just knew my water was going to break at any second. We already had our things loaded in the truck so all we had to do was jump in and go. We arrived at the hospital around midnight on January 12th. The nurses hooked me up the monitors and got me all set up to be checked for dilation. I was still at a 1. I couldn't believe it. I stayed for another two hours to be monitored just in case and then they released me. I was disappointed and pissed off. I kept telling everyone I was overdue and to just go ahead and induce me. At this point, I was just sick of being pregnant.

The second time we had a false alarm, it was about 4 AM on January 20th. It was snowing like crazy and I thought we weren't going to be able to make it to the hospital. The roads were so thick with snow and it was so early that no one had used the roads yet. I was leaking some kind of fluid and thought my water broke. Yet again, I was so desperate to not be pregnant anymore I was willing to have them check again and see if I was in labor or at least close to it. When we got to the hospital, they knew who we were. Ha! They hooked me up to the monitors and I was having mild contractions but not enough to cause me to dilate further than a 2. I thought, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!" Yet again, we were sent home. That next week at my last doctors appointment, they set me up to be induced on February 2nd. All the nurses had bets on how much you would weigh. Some said 6 others said 7. Some even said you would be 5. I just laughed and said, "Keep dreaming ladies..."

The next week and a half went by SO SLOW. I was so ready to have you here with us. I couldn't wait to meet you and get my body back. I anticipated the day with everything I had. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I pictured what it was going to be like to see your adorable little face for the first time. It seems like the days went by slower and slower the more I thought about it. So I finally had to take my mind off of it with other things... even though there wasn't much I could do to NOT think about it.

Over Full-term and headed to the hospital!

On February 2nd, your daddy and I arrived at the hospital, Southwest Medical Center in OKC, around 11:00 PM. Yes, they decided they wanted to induce me at almost midnight. Yuck! I began my Pitocin and IV drip immediately and your daddy talked to me and watched TV for a few hours. We were both exhausted because we hadn't slept yet and the hospital room was so hot. We had the nurse come in a pull that sucker down to 60 degrees! I think the bed was worse than the contractions I started having. I could not get comfortable. I also hadn't eaten since about 5:30 that evening and I was starving. They wouldn't let me have anything to snack on until after you were born. Just that damn crushed ice that I wanted to shove up the nurses ass. My good nurse didn't arrive until the next morning. Your daddy got me whatever I wanted. He stayed awake with me when I was awake and got the nurses for me when I needed something. He never once questioned anything. He was just as ready to meet you as I was. Sometime around 3 AM, we both passed out. I didn't sleep very long because, yet again, the bed was a piece of shit. I woke up around 7:30 AM and had the nurse come check me and see how dilated I was. I had progressed to a 3 and she somehow made me a 4 when she checked me. Yeah, OUCH. About an hour later, the doctor came in and broke my water because it still hadn't yet. Over a pound of fluid poured out of me. So here was the first thing the tech was wrong about. Ha! He had so much fluid it was unreal. They said I had more than enough. It was crazy... and warm... and gross. But I didn't care.

All the family was out in the waiting room. I didn't allow anyone in the delivery room besides your daddy and the nurses/doctor. I wanted this to be our own experience as a family. By 11:00 AM I was fully dilated and ready to push. The doctor came in, along with about 10 trainee nurses. Yes, 10! I wasn't even asked if it was okay that they come in and watch, but at this point, I really just wanted to get you out of me. All the nurses stood and watched while I pushed. Your daddy stood beside me and comforted me through it all. There was no screaming and hollering or pitching a fit. I just pushed while we all talked about the Superbowl commercials. I kid you not, we just talked like my legs weren't spread wide open for the world to see. After about 15 minutes of pushing, you weren't really coming down as far as they needed you to. Dr. D asked if he could use  a special tool to help ease you out of the birth canal. I knew he meant the forceps. I was very uneasy about this, as I had just seen on the news a few weeks prior to this that there was an incident with a baby passing away from the improper usage of that tool by a doctor. I trusted my doctor, so I told him to do whatever made it easiest for him. In less than 5 minutes, he slowly pulled you out. They wiped you down and sucked out some of the gunk from your mouth and nostrils and laid you on my chest. You had this loud, blood curdling scream. I was instantly in love with you. You had so much hair when you were born! (Can't say much for you now...) Your daddy and I both stared at you. You opened your eyes and immediately stopped crying. It was like you knew exactly who we were. They took you and sat your on the scale for weight and measurement. You were a whopping 9 lbs, 5 oz and 22 inches. Another thing the tech was wrong about. I KNEW IT! I KNEW you'd be huge and no one believed me. The doctor even said he was sorry for not believing that I might be overdue. Ha! When your daddy went out to the waiting room to tell everyone we had our baby boy, they were in shock at how much you weighed. Everyone asked where I had put all of you while I was pregnant. They all thought you'd be tiny, too. I had you dressed and cleaned up, looking cute in no time. Your close still swallowed you, even though you were a man child. The family came in and held you, talked to you, and loved on you. Everyone was posting pictures on Facebook. I was exhausted, starving to death and hurting... but so, so happy. I am still so happy. Now, at almost 6 months old, you are our everything. You have added so much joy to our lives and we can't get enough of you and all you do. My sweet angel baby, Jaxon, I am proud to be your Mommy. Your father is proud to be your Daddy. Everyday we smile that much more because you're here with us. We will always give you the best and do what is right for you. We will always be here for you, no questions asked. There is nothing you could ever do that would make us not love you. Your daddy and I adore you. We couldn't ask for more. Moral of your birth story? Yes, your doctors and ultrasound techs CAN make mistakes. Those little pictures on that screen can tell you a lot, but they can also be wrong. Tell your sweet wife someday to always follow her motherly instinct. :) I knew you were a boy from the moment I found out I was pregnant. I wasn't wrong about that, either! :)

I guess I need to start antagonizing daddy about giving you a sibling! ;)



Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment