Saturday, July 19, 2014

A mommy, soon you will be.

Your future, our future, their future...

To my soon-to-be Mommy friends:

I am so excited for you. I am thrilled you are beginning your journey. This is a journey that will last a lifetime. Being a mother is one of the most rewarding, exhausting, but amazing, things you will ever do with your life. It is full of new experiences and outcomes. Each day you will wake up to something new. Whether it be your son finally discovering he can grab his junk or that your daughter is finally able to throw her leg over the crib rail and get herself stuck, it is all an experience that you will never forget. This child will be your life. I mean it. You think you love him/her now inside of you, but wait until the doctor places he/she in your arms for the first time. Those glazed over eyes, tiny little nose, and that first cry. It melts your heart instantly. They will look up at you and instinctively know exactly who you are. They will know, "this is what I've waited nine months for." And so will you. It will be a love you almost can't fathom. You will be overwhelmed with joy and fear all at the same time. Joy of finally having someone so special that you created, but fear of all the things that could happen to them. You will anticipate putting them in that first adorable outfit you've had picked out since the day you find out their gender. You'll think they'll fit in it perfectly, but it'll actually swallow their tiny little body (even at nine pounds)! This legacy God has given you will rely on you for everything for a very, very long time. It's terrifying when you actually think about it, but such a blessing.

The first few weeks, you'll find it difficult to get used to having extra baggage. I don't say 'baggage' meaning the child itself, but all the accessories. A diaper bag, bottles, blankets, car seat, stroller, whatever you decide to take along. Then you can add about 7 or 8 lbs of human to all that and you're set! In my case, it was almost a 10 lb human lol. I'm not gonna lie, it is absolutely exhausting. Especially while your body is healing. Sure, your significant other will help (if he doesn't, punch him in the nuts that helped you make that baby) - but it is nothing compared to all you will take on as that child's mother. The good news? We are MADE for this. We are women and we are so, so strong. Our bodies are extraordinary and full of that "get up and go" juice. This is power you probably never knew you had. It's no joke when they say motherhood tests your abilities. You only think you're a hard sleeper now. The first time that child makes even the slightest peep on that monitor you'll be up and by their side within seconds. Only for the first few weeks, though. You do learn what all their little noises mean. Hunger, pain, fussiness, curiosity, or just plain cooing. This innocent life will be all you think about. You will never again go in a store and come out with only what you needed. You will go in Target and come out with the groceries you needed, but also, toys, baby clothes, diapers, wipes, and a bunch of other misc. junk. You will spend an extra hundred to two hundred dollars just because you couldn't help but think of that sweet baby you crave to spoil.

Prepare yourself for the instinct of protection to take the wheel within the first hour of their life. You'll be hesitant on who you allow to hold him/her. You'll wonder what sickness everyone has had within the last week that you need to be weary of. You'll Lysol EVERYTHING. You'll finally decide it's time to go back to work and you will find yourself in tears over whether or not it is actually worth it anymore to work. You will feel like all you've done is work, even on your maternity leave. Babies are a blessing, but they are work. They are responsibility. Your downtime is pretty much gone. They are fantastic, fun, energetic and breath-taking. I can't remember a time I looked at my little boy and didn't think, "Wow, he's mine. I did that. (With a little help of course. Ha!) He's part of me." I feel like I can do anything knowing that this kid is here.

I know there are a lot of women who don't have the opportunity to bare a child, and that makes me so, so sad. I'd give anything to be able to have the body to produce lots of babies so no woman would ever have to go through such a difficult trial. The trial of it never happening, medical procedures, or being put on an adoption wait-list. I know that kind of disappointment and heartache must be painful, but I also know that God has a purpose and reason for everything. He doesn't give us anything we can't handle. So to those, Mommy's... who never actually got to be Mommy, know that you are thought of daily. You are loved and cherished. Our kids will love and cherish you. You will experience their love in a way that we never will. It will be a one-of-a-kind love. God knew what He was doing when He created all of you.

Don't let this post scare you. These beautiful, wonderfully made pieces of our heart are great. I don't think I have ever done anything as awesome as being a Mom. It is so much fun. My son and I have the best time together and I wouldn't trade those moments for anything in the world. You will make memories that will last a lifetime. Funny things will happen. My son once tipped over at 3 months old trying to sit up on his own in his crib and instead of catching him, I got out the video on my phone and recorded it. Don't worry, the mattress was good and padded. Now I look back at that and laugh. I will be able to show him that when he's older in hopes that he will appreciate the funny memories I save for him. You will love dressing them up and getting them cleaned up. It will make your heart smile when other people are in awe over how adorable they are. They will go bananas over the first time they get to hold him/her. They'll tell you, "Oh he/she looks like so&so." Well, don't take it to heart because majority of the time, they don't look like "so&so." Lol! There is a good chance your significant other will have a pure baby. That child could very well look exactly like the father. You may see no resemblance to you and your features at all. It happens - and my son is that way, but it makes me fall more in love with both my husband and my little boy everyday. It makes me that much more thankful that he is healthy, handsome and full of life. I think someday he'll look like me, maybe, who knows lol. Maybe he'll get my attitude. Ha! 

Mommy friends, I know your back hurts. You are having Braxton Hicks out the wazoo. You are taking a wiz every 10 seconds and that thump in your lower abdomen keeps making you think your water is going to break at any moment. You are tired of the miserable leg cramps and ready to get your body back. Those new Miss Me jeans at Buckle are calling your name. You can't stand the thought of what your body might look like after this baby comes out. I promise you, with all my heart, it is not that bad. You are beautiful, regardless. If it takes you a week to get the weight off, years, or even if you keep some of it. Who cares? We make people! We generate a bundle of cuteness. Sure, we go through a lot of hell to do it but is it ever not worth it? It's ALWAYS worth it. We are ridiculous with awesomeness and personally, I think that is flawless. You're sick of being the only one at the dinner table that can eat two plates, plus some. Don't worry - it is almost over. But it is also almost a new beginning. Pregnancy prepares you for a lot - but not nearly enough. Cherish these last few months or weeks before you're full-term. Take a few good looks at your perfectly round, stretched to it's limit tummy. Enjoy your quiet time, your alone time. Take a bubble bath or enjoy a dinner for two with your spouse. Love, love, LOVE that freedom. Your life is about to change. Your world is about to be flipped upside down. You, my dear, are about to become Mommy, and there is nothing... absolutely NOTHING better than Mommy. :)


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment